Saturday, April 5, 2008

Red Baton Twirling Korean Soldiers

One of the oddest sights I've witnessed in Korea was this long line of Korean soldiers carrying these batons with red lights on them. This was last night and it still seems a bit odd. Therer were a lot of them too and they were walking along the Tanchon. Hmmm. No idea why.

Also, you can certainly tell its Spring now, some trees are blooming, we're growing a plant in class (totally unfair too since we get no direct sunlight, but I'm making the kids talk to the plant every day, so maybe that will help:-P), and there were a lot of people on the Tanchon this morning. Many playing soccer, basketball, and walking. The strange thing was that I didn't see many dogs, just a couple. Last week there were many more, but it was a bit on the warm side. Note for anyone thinking of moving to Korea, these electronic door locks are awesome, but if open to long, them alarm and to stop them, you just close the door and re-enter the code.

So yesterday, one of our Moms came in. Tayon's mom to be precise. He's the kid I think that I was warned about. Either him or Alex is raised by his nanny and acts out. Actually both act out, but after seeing Tayon with his Mom, I think he may be the one. His Mom mentioned that she doesn't get to see him much (she brought Baskin Robbins for the class and it was delicious) and I didn't know quite how to respond. Do you say anything? I figured no response was necessary and thankfully one of the other kids from class came out and was ready to brush his teeth (we were waiting outside of the cafeteria beside some sinks were all the kids brush their teeth after lunch) so I didn't need to respond and couldn't think of anything to say anyway. I guess I do understand Tayon better now.

We had our weekly foreign teacher meeting yesterday and I found out them my kids aren't the only ones who get injured. One kid got a bloody nose last week and his mom came to school all week because the kid was so freaked out by it. I guess mine haven't been so bad. We also talked about our Mom's Day program and will meet specifically to talk about it next week. Yay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific posts, Sallie. I really enjoy reading about your experiences. You are so adventurous!! Your students seem perfectly normal for 5 year olds. Sometimes Chase is a real handful and that is just ONE little boy. What type of scholastic work do they do? Are you teaching them English or just a regular curriculum? Have you found out anything about the baton twirlers?
Love to Luna of course.
Love you too, Babe.
Grandma

Anabolina said...

Nothing new about the batons. Hmm, strange Korea. There is a sort of set curriculum in that you are given books and have to teach the main lessons a certain number of times each week. Like 2 times a week of Math or 4 days a week of phonics, show and tell and storytelling are each once a week and there's also reading twice a week, and computer, music, art, and science once a week. You are expected to do a certain number of pages from the books each week and structure your lessons around that. For my afternoon phonics classes, they just get the books out and we do all the pages together. I think the book are standard kindergarten type books, although some say grade 1.
XOXO love you grandma.